Welcome to week one of the Sweet Evil Read Along hosted by Mindy at Magical Urban Fantasy Reads & co-hosted by Two Chicks on Books here at Two Chicks on Books as well as Rachel from Fiktshun, Tara from Tater’s Tall Tales and Nancy from The Ravenous Reader!
- – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – -
This week we’ll be reading chapters 10-16 && the topic is: Citrus or Pear Recipe.
Well; this should be fun! Let’s see what I can come up with :D
1 cup snipped fresh mint leaves
2 cups water
2/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon shredded orange peel
2 cups orange juice
2/3 cup lemon juice
Fresh mint sprigs (optional)
Place mint leaves in a medium bowl. Bring water and sugar to boiling in a small saucepan, stirring until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat; pour over mint leaves. Stir in orange peel, orange juice, and lemon juice. Cover; let stand at room temperature for 1 hour. Strain. Cover and chill for 4 to 24 hours. Serve over ice. If desired, garnish with mint sprigs. Makes eight 4-ounce servings.
50g unblanched whole almonds
8 amaretti biscuits, about 100g
40g light soft brown sugar
Few drops of vanilla extract
1 egg white
2 tsp lemon juice
4 large, ripe and juicy pears
150ml pear or apple juice
For the Custard and Yogurt Ice Cream
200g wholemilk or Greek natural yogurt
500g low-fat fresh vanilla custard
2 tbsp clear honey
1. Make the custard and yogurt ice cream. Mix the yogurt, custard and honey together in a bowl. Churn in an ice cream maker or pour into a plastic container and freeze until firm. Scrape into a food processor and blend until smooth, then return to the container and freeze once more. Repeat this process 3 more times, then leave to freeze until hard.
2. Preheat the oven to 350°. Sprinkle the almonds onto a baking tray and roast for 7 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to cool, then roughly chop.
3. Put the Amaretti biscuits into a plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin into tiny chunks, but not a fine powder. Tip into a bowl and mix in the almonds, sugar, vanilla extract, egg white and lemon juice.
4. Peel and halve the pears length ways. Remove the cores from the pears with a teaspoon to leave a cavity for the filling but leave the stems in place. Put into a shallow ovenproof dish and fill the cavities generously with the Amaretti mixture. Pour the pear juice into the dish, cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes, until the pears are tender. Uncover and bake for a further 5 minutes. Serve warm with the custard and yogurt ice cream.